James Popson has tried cases to verdict or final decision in eight different states during his sixteen year career as an attorney. He has extensive national experience in complex litigation and jury trials involving catastrophic claims with exposures in excess of eight figures. Popson routinely defends major manufacturers, transportation companies, businesses associated with the aviation industry, professional service firms, and governmental entities and their employees. His experience includes multiple high profile cases which have drawn local and national media attention. Jim is routinely retained by excess insurance carriers to defend insureds with seven and eight figure exposure. He has defended cases in the areas of products liability, civil rights claims involving police and other government officials, trucking and motor vehicle accidents, premises liability, professional liability, catastrophic fire losses, construction accidents, and commercial claims. Jim also handles appellate matters including, most recently, a case involving the standards for disqualifying trial counsel. In addition to his practice in the courtroom, Popson has been recognized by his clients as a dedicated counselor with a practical approach to resolving matters efficiently.
- West Virginia
- United States District Courts
- Northern District of Ohio
- Southern District of Ohio
- Southern District of West Virginia
- Stephen F. Austin State University, B.S.Ed, 1988; M.Ed., 1990
- The University of Akron School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2000
- Popson has professional teaching and coaching experience in high school football and track and was a high jumper in college. Today, he remains actively involved in youth sports as a volunteer coach.
- Ohio State Bar Association
- West Virginia State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
Awards & Recognition
- Super Lawyers, 2011-2015
- Rising Stars, 2006, 2010